You are here: HomeNews2021 06 09Article 446185

General News of Wednesday, 9 June 2021

Source: naijanews.com

FG launches new plan to support 1.5 million Nigerians with N5,000 for 6 months

Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq, Minister of Humanitarian Affairs Disaster Management and Social Dev. Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq, Minister of Humanitarian Affairs Disaster Management and Social Dev.

The Federal Government announced on Tuesday that about one million Nigerians affected by COVID-19 will receive ₦5,000 monthly assistance for six months.

A pilot scheme of the program was launched earlier this year, benefiting 3,115 people in Lagos state and the Federal Capital Territory Abuja.

The intervention will be extended to all states of the federation and those who qualify will begin receiving lately.

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq, made this known in Abuja while addressing the National Social Investment Programmes (NSIP).

The minister said the initiative was a special initiative to support urban informal workers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

She added that the onboarding of the second batch of beneficiaries for the Government Enterprise and Empowerment Programme (GEEP) was nearing completion and would be announced to Nigerians as soon as possible.

She said: “The Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development remains committed to the continued implementation of the National Social Investment Programmes (NSIP), in line with Mr. President’s policy to unfailingly lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years, especially through innovative Youth Empowerment and Gainful Employment.”

Join our Newsletter