You are here: HomeNewsRegional2022 06 10Article 562379

Regional News of Friday, 10 June 2022

Source: www.mynigeria.com

Kaduna attack: State Govt denies aerial bombardment, says NAF helicopters carried out rescue mission

The photo used to illustrate the story The photo used to illustrate the story

The Kaduna State Government has denied reports of aerial attacks by terrorists in the state, disclosing that NAF helicopters had engaged bandits who had earlier killed 32 persons.

It said the victims were killed in the Kajuru Local Government Area of the State.

The Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Mr. Samuel Aruwan said in a statement that the Kaduna State Government received initial reports from security agencies that bandits attacked the villages of Dogon Noma, Ungwan Sarki and Ungwan Maikori in Kajuru Local Government Area on Sunday, June 5.

The bandits are reported to have stormed the area in large numbers on motorcycles as they proceeded to burn houses, and attacked and killed locals.

He noted that the government has been receiving updates from security agencies and traditional leaders in the locations.

He mentioned the 32 persons killed by bandits and the names of their villages as Dogon Noman village: Ahmadu Musa, Audu Dandaura, Akilu Laya, David Wasika, Hajatu Buhari, Nashon Buhari Iliya Yaki, Javan Mairabo, Jackson Adamu and Nasco Victor.

Dutse Gwamna: Joshua Amadi, Gona Isah, Douglas Yakubu, Phineas Joel, Tanimu Umaru, Abody Iliy, Wanzami Halidu, Dogo Aweh, Sunday Shittu, Rejoice Audu, Jedidiah Ayawa Jinkai Pius, Rebecca Ayafa, Ishaya John, Audu Danladi, Jibo Sule, Yakubu Garba and Williams Danbaba, reports Daily Post.

Ungwan Sarki: Maikasa Kufana, Augustine Bahago.

Ungwan Maikori: Mamiya Maikori.

According to him, as Government mourned the gruesome killing and burning of houses in the attacked locations, a report was published suggesting that the victims of the attack were killed by terrorists using a helicopter.

He, however, debunked the report, saying that based on the reports received since on Sunday, bandits attacked the first two locations and killed 31 citizens, and then headed into Ungwan Maikori, where they killed one person and burnt some houses.

He said an Air Force helicopter (under Operation Whirl Punch) dispatched to the area, had earlier scanned the first two locations and sighted burnt houses and properties on fire.

He added that the helicopter intercepted the bandits at the last location (Ungwan Maikori) and engaged them.

He said it was the arrival of the air asset that deterred the bandits from further attacks on the citizens in the village, after the bandits had already killed one local and burnt several houses.

He said several kidnapped victims, including an expatriate abducted at a mining site, were rescued after a fierce engagement with the bandits

According to him, Governor Nasir El-Rufa’i, on receiving reports of the attack, expressed deep sadness and prayed for the repose of the victims’ souls.