You are here: HomeSports2021 01 06Article 405857

xxxxxxxxxxx of Wednesday, 6 January 2021

Source: mynigeria.com

Victor Osimhen’s agent defends Napoli star

Victor Osimhen’s agent Roberto Calenda has said that he expects people to understand the 22-year-old after he blatantly broke the club's coronavirus protocols.

Osimhen tested positive for coronavirus after he was seen partying in Lagos. A trendy video that surfaced online from the party showed the striker not observing social distancing rules and failing to wear a nose mask.

The development angered Napoli authorities and his club boss, Gattuso, resulting in Osimhen being fined two weeks’ wages, even as he self isolates as part of his recovery process from the coronavirus disease, Soccernet.ng said.

Osimhen has since apologized to the club, boss, and fans for his actions. But Calenda has defended the youngster, insisting that Osimhen had been going through a difficult period’.

“He should not be accused of a family party,” Calenda told Il Mattino, as per the Daily Mail.

“He was naive, but you also need to know the context to get a complete picture of the issue.

“We are talking about a 22-year-old boy who has been through a difficult period in recent months.

“He was alone for a long time; he lost his father, and things got even worse with the injury. He hadn’t seen his family for months, and when he got home, they threw him a surprise party for his birthday.

“It’s OK to judge the mistake, but please don’t consider it as if he went to Ibiza to the disco. Having said that, he made a mistake and apologized to everyone.”

Osimhen, who sustained a shoulder injury against Sierra Leone during the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers in November, missed Napoli’s last seven matches of 2020.

The forward also missed the club’s first match of 2021 against Cagliari as he recovers from the virus.

He is likely to miss Napoli’s league games against Udinese and Spezia and their Italian Cup tie against Empoli.

Join our Newsletter