You are here: HomeSports2020 11 20Article 396097

Sports News of Friday, 20 November 2020

Source: soccernet.com

Pinnick shares the latest update on Rohr’s future following the minister’s comments

The Minister of Youth and Sports had hinted the German faces sack, but the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) president says Nigeria can’t afford to sack the former Bayern Munich star

Gernot Rohr’s position as the head coach of the Nigerian national team is safe for now after the NFF president, Amaju Pinnick revealed the body cannot sack him now.

Rohr has come in for criticism after the Super Eagles failed to win any of the four matches they played this year.

The Super Eagles lost to Algeria while they played a draw against Tunisia in last month’s international friendly matches.

The three-time African champions then played two disappointing draws against Sierra Leone in their Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

It was a result that got fans and ex-players angry with some even calling for Rohr’s head. The performance of the team also got a reaction from the sports Minister, Sunday Dare, who said Rohr could be sacked.

However, Pinnick insists Nigeria can’t afford to sack the German right now given he just signed a new two-year deal in May.

“We cannot afford to sack Gernot Rohr, We cannot,” Pinnick said in an interview with NTA.

Rohr has been in charge of the Super Eagles since 2016 and has led to the team to two major competitions. He led Nigeria to the 2018 World Cup with a game to spare and repeated the same feat for 2019 Afcon with Nigeria finishing in third place.

His new deal expires after the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Join our Newsletter