Entertainment of Saturday, 22 August 2026

Source: thenationonlineng.net

Okpebholo denies banning Davido from Edo

The Edo State Government has denied reports that Governor Monday Okpebholo banned Nigerian musician David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, from entering the state.

The denial followed a viral video in which an aide to the governor, Pastor Kassy Chukwu, claimed that Davido had been barred from visiting Edo State.

However, Okpebholo, in a statement signed by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Prince Kassim Afegbua, dissociated his administration from the claim, describing the person behind the purported ban as an impostor.

The governor said Edo State remained open to everyone regardless of their beliefs, political affiliations or other interests.

“Our enemies are at it again; we did not ban Davido from entering Edo State,” the statement said.

The governor added that his administration would be willing to collaborate with the musician if he intended to perform in the state in the future.

He described Davido as “one of our illustrious sons”, noting that the singer’s mother is from Edo State.

“Should he wish to visit Edo State, we would happily host and fete him,” he said.

Okpebholo said the disagreement involving Davido after the recent Osun State governorship election was political and had no personal dimension.

He described Davido as a global ambassador for Nigeria and commended his achievements in the music industry.

“As a government, we are pleased with his conduct, commitment and calculated conquest in the music industry. Indeed, we look forward to him being awarded a Grammy title,” the governor said.