You are here: HomeNews2022 09 05Article 585428

Regional News of Monday, 5 September 2022

Source: www.mynigeria.com

Lagos seven storey building collapse: Death toll rises to 5

Rescue work at the vicinity of the building collapse Rescue work at the vicinity of the building collapse

The remains of three more people, including an elderly man, have been found in the wreckage of the building that collapsed in Lagos on Sunday.

Five people have already died as a result of the most recent recovery, and two more people may still be trapped in the seven-storey structure that collapsed early on Sunday on Oba Idowu Oniru Street in Victoria Island.

Emergency personnel had already discovered two bodies on Sunday.

More people are reportedly still trapped within the building even after it has been brought down to the ground.

Before the building collapsed, it was said that those who were trapped were sleeping there.

One more body has been found, according to Ibrahim Farinloye, the Lagos territorial coordinator for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), who made the announcement earlier on Monday.

“An elderly man has just been recovered under the rubble as recovery efforts continue,” he said.

The Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, in an update Monday noon said the death toll had increased to four.

He said, “The agency alongside other first responders has been working for over 24 hours on the site of the 7-storey building which collapsed yesterday (Sunday). Another two bodies have been extricated from the rubble bringing the fatalities to four. The painstaking process is ongoing. Further updates to follow.”

At 12.30pm, Farinloye gave another update adding that, “One body recovered again making it five bodies recovered so far.”

Join our Newsletter!