General News of Wednesday, 20 May 2026

Source: www.mynigeria.com

Army speaks on terrorist base in Southwest

The Armed Forces of Nigeria has addressed recent media reports and public speculation suggesting that terrorist elements have established a permanent operational base within the South West geo-political zone of Nigeria, particularly following the attack in Oyo State.

This was after an unconscionable attack by terrorists on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele; and L.A. Primary School, all in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, which led to the abduction of innocent children and staff.

In a statement signed by the Director Defence Media Operations, Michael Onoja, the Defence Headquarters stated that the incident was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region, as the Armed Forces had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation of the Old Oyo National Park (OONP), effectively neutralising the operational capacity of criminal elements within that corridor.

The DHQ said current intelligence assessments do not support the conclusion that any structured or permanent terrorist base exists within the forests or hinterlands of the South West region.

"Criminal elements, however audacious their recent activities, do not constitute an established insurgent presence, and the Defence Headquarters cautions against narratives that may cause unnecessary public panic or embolden adversaries by overstating their capabilities," the DHQ said.

The DHQ assured all Nigerians, particularly residents of the South West, that troops are currently deployed and actively operating within the forest in pursuit of the perpetrators and in search of the abducted victims.

"Troops made contact with the criminal elements two days ago, have since reorganised, and are continuing the search and pursuit operations with full determination. Working in close coordination with relevant security agencies, the Armed Forces is conducting intensive joint operations across forest corridors and ungoverned spaces in the zone. The Armed Forces is equally engaging the local populace for human intelligence, recognising that community cooperation remains an invaluable asset in the effort to recover the abducted victims safely and swiftly. The joint effort with all security agencies and local vigilantes will ensure that the forest is thoroughly cleared of criminal elements and that lasting peace is restored to the region. The Armed Forces of Nigeria will not relent until every abducted victim is safely recovered, the criminal networks responsible are dismantled, and normalcy is fully restored across the South West and indeed all of Nigeria," it said.