General News of Friday, 29 August 2025
Source: www.guardian.ng
Ahead of the 2027 general elections, the 2023 presidential candidate of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, has declared that he has no plans to leave the party, though he remains open to discussions with other political stakeholders.
Kwankwaso, who spoke in Abuja yesterday, during the ninth National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting of the NNPP, dismissed speculations about his possible defection.
“Many people thought today we would announce whether I will stay in NNPP or go to another party or join some individuals. That was not the intention of the meeting. We have our party, and we are comfortable and happy,” Kwankwaso said.
He said the party remains open to alliances but insisted that the NNPP belongs to Nigerians and not a few individuals, adding that while the party is not in a hurry, it remains flexible and open to dialogue.
Earlier in his welcome address, the NNPP National Chairman, Dr Ajuji Ahmed, reaffirmed Kwankwaso as the party’s presidential candidate for 2027. He said the party had positioned itself as the “beautiful bride” of Nigerian politics ahead of the 2027 general elections, declaring that citizens have already made a decision on the direction of the country.
The party emphasised that while it continues to attract new members, those who decide to leave cannot be compelled to remain. Also, Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf, who was represented by his deputy, Aminu Gwarzo, pledged support for Kwankwaso’s leadership, noting his contributions to strengthening the NNPP.